Sunday, June 13, 2010

Everything I thought and more...

So.... I'm in Kenya!!

After what seemed like days of traveling(well it WAS days of traveling) I made it to Nairobi last night at 9pm local time. You know what the worst part of an 8-hour plane ride is?? Figuring out what to do with the last 4 hours after wasting the first 4 hours... But luckily everything has gone smoothly so far. I can't begin to describe my relief when I walked out of the terminal and saw "BRENDAN MOULDER-ILRI" printed big as life across a little sign. We quickly headed off to the hostel/guesthouse/campsite and I was quickly reminded of my first trip to Grenada, when the driver was flying past cars, stopping at random places to avoid ditches, etc.

When we got to the place where I was staying, I was a little worried. No lights, save a couple lanterns.... Luckily come to find out that it wasn't standard operating procedure, just that the generator that normally kicks on when the apparently unreliable Nairobi power-grid fails, had also failed. Anyways, within about an hour they had it back up and running. This is the point at which I realize that Kenya was a British Colony and therefore adopted the British 220v system... not the 110v system that ALL my electronics are set up for... (So if I don't do much writing that may be why!!)

Finally, started out today bright and early... or at least early. It was pretty misty this morning and there was a decent chill in the air. Three different people told me how chilly it was and were asking why I wasn't wearing a jacket... One guessed that I was used to it, another guessed that I couldn't feel the cold. Kind of funny, trying to tell that that I was accustomed to summer weather this time of year and that the upper 60s and lower 70s were by no means all that cold.

So at this point I am just chilling at a visiting student desk at the International Livestock Research Institute just outside Nairobi waiting for my health and safety induction training session... I am working under a couple different organizations so I have to do paperwork and 'training' for all of them... Once I finish this, I am free for the day and might try to make it to the National Park right near Nairobi. Then tomorrow morning I am flying to Kisumu then boarding a bus and heading to Busia... Jambo

No comments:

Post a Comment